Friday, October 22, 2010

Penguin Cake

Today we are celebrating the September and October birthdays at work. It was a perfect excuse for me to use the penguin cake pan that my mom gave me a while ago. It is a "cupcake" cake pan. The pan itself is made up of smaller, piece-sized sections. You bake the cake and then put the sections together to make the penguin. After you have decorated it, each section can be easily pulled apart to make a separate piece.

The cake recipe I used was a bit dense but it meant that the cake wasn't crumbly so that it was easier to get the pieces level after baking. For next time, I will probably use less almond flavoring or even try vanilla as the almond taste is pretty strong. Of course it is whole wheat as well since I don't have white flour in the house.

After the cake that one of the students brought for the ICCI shower, I really wanted to try decorating the cake by making little flowerettes using a special tip instead of smearing the frosting on. I experimented on little cupcakes to get the technique down and then set to doing the penguin. I still don't have the hang of getting the flowerettes close enough together the first try so I did have to do some "patching" to fill in spots. I also didn't produce consistently sized flowerettes but I think it looks pretty good for a first try!