Thursday, May 26, 2011

Five Years Ago Tonight

Five years ago tonight I was in my last few hours of being single.  I remember getting back to our apartment relatively early in the evening from the rehearsal dinner.  It was an early wake up call the next morning so I hadn't intended to stay up late but the combination of anticipation and a good basketball game kept me up into the wee hours of the morning.  Earlier in the day we had done the rehearsal out at the Ranch and then the rehearsal dinner at Billy Bob's.  Katie was staying at the Ranch and had the car we planned to use to drive back so my ride was one of my best men Gary who was to meet me the next morning at the break of dawn.  I kept reminding myself of this fact as I stayed up later and later.  Most of the night is a blur but I do remember not being nervous even though I thought I was supposed to be.  I was completely at ease with what was going to happen and I can distinctly remember thinking you should be nervous now, why aren't you nervous.  There was a lot of anticipation but not the questions I thought you were supposed to have the night before you get married.  Five years later there still aren't any questions and its even more clear now than it was then how fortunate I was to have met and eventually married Katie.  I love her even more now than I did then and look forward to the next five years, and the five after that, and the five after that............