Friday, August 20, 2010

New Responsibilities

On Tuesday I received an appointment letter from the Minister of Health indicating that the Governor in Cabinet had appointed me to a one year term as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Cayman Islands National Insurance Company (CINICO).  This is the position we had mentioned a while back that I was up for but wasn't sure I would ultimately receive.  My experience as a lawyer and in the paramedical industry as well as my work in academia all played a role in this new position.  It doesn't affect my job as the Dean of ICCI or impact us in any way other than the new responsibilities that I will have as Chairman and the additional work it will involve.  It is an honor to have been nominated and a real honor to have been appointed.  Before any of you ask, it is a volunteer position and doesn't carry any salary or other benefits beyond the prestige of holding the position.  I am excited about the prospect and it is an opportunity to give back to the community in a significant way as CINICO insures all public servants and the most at risk segments of the population (this is effectively the public option company down here).  It is a new venture and along with the challenge of being the Dean and the incredible challenge of fatherhood means my life will be quite interesting.  How will I ever find time for Longhorn football???????