Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Chicago

By Scott: I am in Chicago this week for the funeral of our cousin Julia Koclanes. Julia had an incredible affect on all of our lives and will be truly missed. She was a wonderful person who lived life to the fullest and never let all the problems she faced get her down. She had a long battle with several medical conditions and after a protracted struggle died Saturday afternoon with her husband at her side. We learned about her passing Saturday night and immediately looked into whether I could fly up here. Someone upstairs must have wanted it to be as after seeing the first couple of options at 1500, 1200 and 1100 dollars we found a cheap last minute fare through Charlotte that was less expensive than some of our flights to Miami.

I arrived late Sunday and yesterday I got to see my nephew Nicholas for the first time in over two years. He has gone from being a baby in my arms to a walking talking 2 year old ball of energy. I am not bragging but my nephew is a genius, already counting and spelling and reading his books to me. While the reason for coming here is not at all what I would have wanted it is giving me the chance to catch up with a lot of family I haven't seen in the two years we have been in the Caribbean. I am staying with my cousin Chuck and his family until my sister gets back in town tomorrow. That has given me the chance to spend time with Aunt Catherine who turns 90 this August and to catch up with Twila (Chuck's wife) and Cory and Christy (their daughters). Seeing and babysitting my nephew was a great time, even changing his diaper (something I am sure that would not be near as fun the 100th time as it was the first time). I was the lone baby sitter for about 2 and a half hours and by the end I was worn out which means I need to get into better shape so when Katie and have our own I can keep up with them.

I am spending today with Julia's husband Nick and some of his family who have already made it into town. Tomorrow is the wake and the funeral is Thursday. I plan to see some other family throughout the week and will try and do an update before I leave. Keep Nick and all of Julia's family in your prayers this week as we celebrate her life and remember fondly the affect she had on all of us.