Thursday, June 28, 2007

Its no fun being an illegal alien

By Scott

As I drove the rental car back to Budget on Monday I listened to K-Rock the local "hard" rock radio station. Its really not hard rock so much as a combination of 70's rock, 80's pop and 90's hard rock. As I am driving an old song from Genesis came on and before I knew it I was singing along to "its no funnnn, being an illegal aliennnn". The irony of it was pretty strong since my visitor permit to stay on the island expires on Saturday and I don't have a flight off island.

With the prospect of being an illegal alien looming large, I went down to the main immigration office in George Town today to get another 30 day visitor stamp. Fortunately, the immigration office decided that I fall under the pastor/teacher category and stamped my passport with a two year work permit, even though I am not a pastor and I only applied for a one year permit. When the immigration officer asked me what I do I said I was the new Dean at ICCI, she said she was stamping my passport as a pastor/teacher and so I just kept my mouth shut and said thank you. I decided to double down my bet and pulled out Katie's passport to see if they would stamp hers but unfortunately she is still not approved and we are operating off the temporary permit she got when we landed that expires at the end of August. She hasnt been declined just "deferred".

It has been a crazy busy week at work, the registration rush is over but now we are dealing with the regular rush. On Saturday we have a campus wide meeting to meet the new dean and registrar. Next Monday is a holiday for Constitution Day so Katie and I are celebrating Fourth of July two days early. We hope to go out on a longer bike excursion Sunday or Monday. Will let you know how far we get.