Saturday, September 15, 2012

Fosters 800 Meter Swim

As we continue to train for the triathlon that is coming up in November we are still participating in the open water swims that take place here in the island from time to time.  Today was the Fosters 800 Meter Swim on Seven Mile.  Katie was under the weather so I was the only one to do the swim.  In training for the Flowers mile back in June I never could get under 16 minutes for the half mile races and had set that as my goal today.  I got a great start and was able to maintain a good pace until the end when my form fell apart and my lungs started burning.  Even with my last 100 being really rough I came in at an unofficial time of 15:27 and in 51st out of 140 swimmers.  I finished third in my age group (males 40-44) which was actually won by the man who won the Cayman Islands Olympic Distance Triathlon last year.  Here are some shots from today.

140 swimmers at the start
The course looking down Seven Mile from the Finish
Finish Line
I approach the finish
 
Last few strokes
Third in my Age Group!