Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Mendoza Line

In baseball there is a term for hitters who are really struggling, its called hitting above the Mendoza line. The Mendoza line is named after a short stop who was a lifetime .215 hitter but it has traditionally now become a description for a hitter who is below .200.  For the past ten years I have been dieting and exercising in a vain attempt to get below 200 pounds and have always viewed that as my own personal Mendoza line only this time the goal is below 200 not above.  Three weeks ago I got a reading of 199.8 on my weekly weigh in.  I wasn't really trusting of it and said that if I got three straight weeks of readings below 200 pounds I would be convinced that I had truly broken through the barrier. Last week was 199 even and this morning 198.6 so it seems the Mendoza line has been broken.  We are still doing active training for the triathlon and that looks like it was the impetus to break through the 200 pound barrier.