Saturday, March 10, 2012

600 M Swim

Today was the Camana Bay Athletic Club 600 M Swim. It is the second part of a three part series that slowly increases distance. I missed the first one and won't be able to do the 800 M swim in three weeks because of a baby shower but I wanted to do this one to see what it was like to do an open water swim.

I met up with my friend Kristy and we got our body markings.

After a 200M Lollipop Swim (for those under 10), we got in the water with 104 swimmers. We are over right next to the blue buoy waiting for all the swimmers to get in.
It was a bit overwhelming at the beginning with everyone clamoring to get out but I set into a good pace and made good time for me. I finished 64th out of the group in about 15.5 minutes.
Kristy, a former competitive swimmer, was waiting for me at the finish line (she finished 15th - what an inspiration!) with her son Tucker who cheered "Go, Katie!" as I got close.
I'm glad that I did it and will do as many swim races as I can in the next two and a half months as the Flowers Sea Swim (one mile open water swim) gets closer!