Saturday, April 9, 2011

St. Ignatius Walk

This seems to be the school year for Fortieth Anniversaries.  Last September ICCI celebrated its 40th and this spring St. Ignatius Catholic School is celebrating 40 years as well.  Several of the St. Ignatius faculty and staff came to our Memorial Walk so this morning we returned the gesture waking up at 5:15 and heading over to the St. Ignatius walk that started at 6:30 a.m.  It was just over a 2.5 mile walk and we kept up a good pace that left both of us feeling sonewhat accomplished at the end.  As parishoners of St. Ignatius it was also good to interact with our church community in an event that celebrates how important the school has been to the Caymans. 

We did get another example of how small this island can be.  On Thursday, the ICCI office manager came in and said she heard a rumour about me and just wanted me to know about it.  She heard I was getting married next Sunday.  I had to explain to her that we were just getting our marriage blessed by the Catholic church which to the church meant we were getting "married" but legally we are coming up on our fifth anniversary.  Still if I get a few strange looks in the next few weeks I may have to explain that Katie and I really have been married already and that we havent been living together in sin since we got here.  Small Island.  The first week of classes was draining but we both have a full weekend calendar as we get ready for my brother and his family to visit next week.