Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Scott's back decides to throw a wrench in everything

By Scott: On Sunday morning I woke up and was feeling very stiff as if I had slept wrong. By Sunday evening it was a little worse and Monday it got progressively even worse until Monday evening I could barely walk. When I woke up Tuesday morning and still felt the same we decided to go to the hospital. They did a CT scan of my back and found a disc protrusion/herniation in my lower back at the base of my spine. I started Physical Therapy the same afternoon and found out that my left hip had also been knocked out of alignment. I had a biking accident about a week earlier and the physical therapist believes that when I landed on my left knee it knocked the hip out of place just slightly and over the course of the week it started impinging on the nerve. The hope is that by putting the hip back in that solves the problem. It could be that the protrusion is actually a coincidence having nothing to do with my pain. I have been off work for the last two days resting and tomorrow I see the therapist again for a follow up. I had been given a prescription for some pretty strong pain medicine and muscle relaxants but since the therapy session haven't needed them and am hoping not to have to use them at all. I will know more tomorrow and hopefully get released back to work. This was very bad timing as this week is final exams for the summer quarter. Katie has been very pleased about getting to order me around while on bed rest and not allowing me to do anything. She gets to take care of me this time.